Credit: Mississippi State Athletics
Behind a career-high 23-points from Ahlana Smith, Mississippi State opened the 2022 Sun Coast Challenge with a dominating performance against Old Dominion on Monday, 83-47. The win moves the Bulldogs to 10-2 on the season with one non-conference game left to play.
Mississippi State’s decisive win over Old Dominion was highlighted by State’s offense that shot a season-high 69% from the three-point line (11-for-16). The height and length of the Bulldogs proved to be a problem for ODU as the Bulldogs outscored Old Dominion 44-20 in the paint. State had three players score in double-figures, Smith with a career-high (23), Asianae Johnson (16), and Denae Carter (10).
Ahlana Smith made a statement on Monday, earning just the second 20-point game for MSU this season. On her way to a career-high, Smith went 5-for-6 from three. She scored 11 points in the first half, going 3-for-3 from behind the three-point line. Smith’s defense was also stifling, with a season-high six rebounds and tying her season-high with four assists on the day.
Asianae Johnson tied her career-high with 16 points shooting perfectly from the three-point line (2-for-2) and 6-for-8 (75%) from the field. Denae Carter led the team with seven rebounds, with Smith and Jessika Carter following closely behind with six a piece. Anastasia Hayes fed State the ball with five assists and four steals.
- State won the rebounding battle over ODU, 40-31.
- Smith knocked down a career-high five triples.
- MSU’s 11 made threes is a team-high this season. It’s also the third time this season that MSU has made double-digit triples.
- Jessika Carter drew a season-high four charges and four blocked shots. It’s her fifth game this season with at least four blocked shots.
- State has recorded double-digit steals in seven straight games.
- MSU’s largest lead of the game was 38 at the 1:33 left mark in the fourth quarter. State won by 36.